Taking a break from Art Fair Prep. Inspiration in childhood places.

Thursday 9 March 2017

Last weekend I went to the New Forest, and took some photographs as the basis for creating abstract spaces in a brown / green spectrum resonant of my childhood memories.  My work seems to be taking an auto biographical turn.............
 I feel so lucky that this is where I grew up
 and for the dramatic sky on the day of our walk
 this place holds memories of the extremely happy and extremely sad
 and above all an enormous sense of your own smallness in the landscape
 I will be using these photos and others I took that day for inspiration with colour and to refine down the elements
 which create that sense of space
 and allow me to hold onto the emotional ambiguity
 both soothing and                                  

                                                               threatening
that they can embody
 these wild spaces contrasted with the
more manicured private spaces of people's gardens
which in this part of the world inevitably contain traces of the wild
coupled with planned
order and
restricted boundaries
private ownership and
 order

I can feel a new project coming on.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment