The Start of the Art from London Markets Project

Tuesday 11 November 2014

3 Pumpkins

A few years ago, as my children moved out of small childhood, I wanted to return properly to art practise.  After a jolty start, I was reminded of a phrase my Grandfather used to say, which has proven to be a guide to me both in terms of subject matter and personal advice for my practice.  He said, "It's worth waiting up all night for the moment when a pear is perfectly ripe."
  
Gilded Pomegranate

My art practice is now concentrated on searching for beauty in the everyday natural objects we find around us even in a city.  In the things which sustain us in our momentary bliss.







Turban Pumpkin

My project is as follows; on a weekly basis, I will visit London markets and small green grocers stores, and spend £50 on food for my family.  £50 is the national average spend on food for a family of four. So I will create a record of what can be bought for £50 across London.  



The produce I buy will form the basis of my drawing and painting each week. This blog will record my progress,so it will be a public log book of sorts.





I will blog about my progress in returning to Artist practice as a mother,  and the economic reality of even an average family's spend on food. I may even throw in a recipe or two, as well as an attempt to capture beauty in the everyday. The personal is political.

Leave a Comment

  1. Hi Sarah
    Thank you sending me a link to your blog, I really like the work, and looking forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The markets in London reflect the diversity of the people living nearby, providing you with seasonal and more exotic subjects to draw and paint. A great theme to develop!

    ReplyDelete